Rules of engagement
- 50. There’s no shame in casually leaving your ring size lying around.
- 49. Don’t wear a fedora at your wedding.
- 48. No, the DJ will not play “Free Bird.”
- 47. Rings hidden in champagne flutes are a choking hazard.
- 46. Be sure to clear your history after browsing for rings online.
- 45. Stick to traditional suit colors—no camo.
- 44. “Fiancée” is pronounced like “Beyoncé.”
- 43. Remember to change your Bitmoji’s outfit on your wedding day.
- 42. You know it’s meant to be when he shares his Netflix password.
- 41. Open bar is reception priority #1.
- 40. Bride wars start over who gets the most Likes.
- 39. Playlists are the new mixtapes.
- 38. Always consult her besties first.
- 37. There is no hashtag limit on engagement announcements.
- 36. Marriage is #NoFilter.
- 35. It’s not official until it’s Facebook official.
- 34. Don’t tell Grandma you met on Tinder.
- 33. Your engagement should always be engaging.
- 32. Marriage proposals should never include emoji.
- 31. Hire a photographer so she can post it on Instagram.
- 30. It’s okay if your engagement lasts longer than your student loan payment.
- 29. Love stories trump Snap stories any day.
- 28. Check her Pinterest board before you make the big purchase.
- 27. Let someone else live-Tweet your wedding.
- 26. If it’s not on Snapchat, it didn’t happen.
- 25. The wedding hashtag is more important than the flower arrangements.
- 24. Swipe right for marriage.
- 23. Don’t propose in the DM.
- 22. Don’t post engagement shots until the hashtag is official.
- 21. There is no judgment allowed regarding the number of posts made during the engagement.
- 20. Wedding planning is a team sport, no matter how bossy the fiancée.
- 19. Be nice to your bridesmaids. But if they hate your dress, all bets are off.
- 18. Double up on deodorant before you pop the question.
- 17. Tell her that no, she shouldn’t lose weight for the wedding. Support her when she ignores you.
- 16. Don’t act like you’re better than your friends just because you got engaged first, even though you definitely are.
- 15. Repeat the following mantra ten times a day: “My mother means well.”
- 14. Tell your parents before blasting it online.
- 13. Do not let your friends “try it on.”
- 12. Kiss like a movie poster.
- 11. Take off your damn hat.
- 10. She’s been dieting for months. Let her pick the cake.
- 9. Get down on one knee because two is begging.
- 8. It’s okay to punctuate her “Yes” with an end-zone dance.
- 7. If not certain, never propose in public.
- 6. Do not propose with a karaoke mic.
- 5. Do not hide the ring in lasagna.
- 4. You may have found each other online, but it doesn’t mean you should buy a ring there.
- 3. Size isn’t everything. There’s also the color, cut and clarity.
- 2. You still ask for her parents’ blessing. If you’re paying for the wedding, you don’t care what the answer is.
- 1. Love sparkles with a ring from Smyth.
Modern romance can be tricky. New roles, new rules. And when it comes to getting engaged, what was once an intimate moment for two can now become a national broadcast, shared within seconds for a sea of followers via Instas, Snaps and posts. No pressure.
Fear not, young lover. Smyth has your back, with all the know-how you need to get it right. We call them The New Rules of Engagement. Check ’em out and then come pay us a visit. With over 100 years of experience, we’ve got this.
Rules OF Engagement
Got One? Do Tell!
The best thing about the New Rules of Engagement is that fresh minds and impossible dreamers are creating new ones every day.Send Us Your Rule